Thank you for volunteering your time to the youth of Dover Baseball!
Are you interested in managing, or assisting to coach a team this year? If so, please contact the appropriate Divisional Directors or the Vice President of Baseball Operations soon. Directors will try to place all coaches, but sometimes we have more interest than we have teams. Generally, returning coaches are offered positions before new coaches. All recommendations for coaching staff are brought to the Board for final approval.
If you have any general questions, contact the Vice President of Baseball Operations or the appropriate Divisional Director. See our contacts
page for more information.
What do you need to complete to become a coach/volunteer for the season?
All coaches are required to pass a background check every three years. Please contact your Division Director if you are not sure of your background check anniversary date.
Background checks must be complete prior to the beginning of the season. See more information here
In addition, all managers and coaches for Cal Ripken Minor (age 9) and older must complete the Cal
Ripken certification. This certification needs to be completed once and is good as long as you coach. See more information here.
Will Dover Baseball provide training to the coaching staff?
Yes - Coaches Clinics are held once per year before the start of the season. All coaches will be notified of the date and location once scheduled. However, the clinic is typically a weekday evening.
This clinic is geared toward new coaches and coaches in the Rookie division (players ages 4-7).
All other coaches are welcome too.
Does the league have a comprehensive document with coach expectations/guidelines?
Yes, please see our coach letter here.
What do the league bylaws say about coaches?
Below is an extract from the league bylaws:
Section 1. Manager and Coach Standards
What are some additional responsibilities of the managers/coaches?
- Team Managers and Coaches shall be responsible for the selection of their teams and for their actions on and off the field.
- Adults of sound personal character and the ability to work well with fellow coaches and youths.
- Ability to instruct in baseball fundamentals.
- Willingness to follow and teach league policy rules.
- Attend clinics as planned, scheduled, and conducted by the league.
- Prior to the start of each season, all Managers and Coaches need to sign the Dover Baseball Code of Ethics and Disciplinary Policies.
- Will need to submit and pass a background check every three years.
- Must be Cal Ripken Certified prior to managing and coaching.
- Enforce all league policies and rules.
In addition to developing your team of ball players, the League needs your help in the following areas:
- Ensuring Dover Baseball's Code of Conduct is reviewed and signed by all coaches/parents/players on your team and to enforce the Code of Conduct as written.
- Verifying that additional coach/parent volunteers are reported to the League so that we can ensure they have completed the background check process.
- Encouraging calendar sales by your team. Dover Baseball's calendar fundraiser earns almost 20% of our annual revenue. Without these proceeds, registration fees would increase. 100% participation by your team earns you a gift certificate valid for 5 cheese pizzas. Individual player awards are also available for highest sales.
How can you use the League Athletics software to manage your team?
Review the help documentation at the following link. Using our software to communicate with your team, amongst other things, will make your life easier!